Thursday, March 26, 2009

March 24

This week's topic on the disappearance of childhood due to media and television was not surprising. As a child of the media age, it is a topic that I have confronted before. However, the extent to which the subject was debated, the depth, and the graphic content was new. At times the discussion made me feel uncomfortable, probably due to its controversial nature. However, the discussion did not persuade me to think differently regarding my own exposure and my future children's exposure to media and television.
I grew up in a major metropolis. This meant billboards everywhere, constant bombardment with advertisements. Additionally, for a family of four, we had four televisions - one in the kitchen, one in the master bedroom, one in the family room, and one in the basement. This is considered normal where I was raised. TV became a constant distraction for those of us without self-control or time management.
My cousins, on the other hand, grew up with no TV at all. Eventually they had one just for watching movies. In the rural area where they live, not having a TV is very common. There was an obvious difference - while my 14-year-old my sister could name all the protagonists in her favorite television serious, my 6-year-old cousin could name every species of flowers that grew in her front yard.
After moving out of the house, my consumption of television and media has decreased immensely. When returning to where I grew up, I ignore the constant bombardment of advertisements. Tuesday's class simply reaffirmed my values regarding media & TV - that it is an unnecessary tool for social interaction and must be used in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment